Quinoa is a magic lil super seed that is cooked like a grain. It's gluten-free, high in protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. Not very many plant foods contain all of this goodness!! It is also hight in magnesium, Vit B & E, Iron, potassium, calcium, fiber, among many antioxidants. This is one of my favorite things to make ahead. You can mix it with most any food. Salads, Add to my rainbow bowl, breakfast, sushi, etc. It last up to 5 days in the fridge.
- 1 cup dry quinoa cooks about 3 cups of quinoa
- 2 cups water or veggie broth
- salt to taste. If you using veggie broth you may not need it.
- Quinoa can have a bitter taste to them. To get rid of the bitter taste. Make sure to rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer under cold water. Add into the sauce pan. I like to toast them for a few min until you smell the toasty smell.
- Add your liquid, salt and bring to a boil.
- Bring down to a simmer and cover with a lid. Do not mix or open it up until it’s been simmering for about 15 min. Then peek and stick your spoon through the middle to see if the water is still in there. If so cover back up and check back in 5 min. It should take between 15-20 min to make. If it gets dried up and not cooked yet. Add a little more liquid.
- Remove lid and fluff it. Add seasonings or sea salt if you like. I usually add squeezes of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt.
Add to a glass container and will last for about 5 days.
Share this Recipe