I was raised on lots of processed boxed meals. Things such as hamburger helper and tuna helper was my favorite! Eek!! I have re-created this childhood meal and have made it just as creamy but so much healthier!! This is a big hit with friends and family. If you remove the tuna it’s vegan and just creamy sauce that will remind you of mac and cheese. Remove the pasta and replace with cauliflower for a grain-free alternative. Try it several ways and let me know what you like!
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||45 min|
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 can tuna (omit if vegan) Replace with sautéed shiitake mushrooms
- 5 cups gluten free brown rice or quinoa macaroni pasta A grain-free option 1 head of cauliflower chopped (steam it for 1 min. al dente)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small to med yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon Gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, avocado oil, ghee
- 2 cups Almond milk, coconut milk for a creamier base use a can of thick coconut milk.
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and Sauté onions for about 3 min or until soft then add salt, garlic and butternut squash for one min.
- Add milk and bring to a boil. Bring it down to a simmer and cover for 20 min or until soft .
- While this is cooking prepare water to boil for brown rice pasta or cauliflower.
- Add cooked butternut squash and all ingredients from pot to a blender or a hand emersion blender. Blend until nice and creamy.
- Then add Dijon mustard add nutritional yeast and blend again. Taste it and add more salt if needed.
- Pour cooked pasta or steamed cauliflower to a small casserole type dish. Pour the hot cheesy puree on top of pasta or cauli. (I like to reserve some sauce for next day leftovers)
- Sprinkle gluten free bread crumbs and eat right away!!
*It's yummy to add sautéed shiitake mushrooms to the top of it. especially if making it vegan. It adds a depth of flavor to it.
*Sprinkle with smoked paprika for a smoky flavor
*For extra fancy flavor- Drizzle truffle oil to the top
Share this Recipe